Château La Haye is part of a long wine tradition dating back to 1557 when Sire Janot Bernard of Leyssac acquired the property and planted the first vines. The Châteaux is one of the oldest in Saint-Estèphe and has remained within the same family for 370 years.
According to legend, this château served King Henri II and Diane de Poitiers as their hunting lodge. At the time Henri II was married to Catherine de Medici, but Henri II used the sprawling rolling hills to charm Diane de Poitiers throughout their romance. Their monogram, H and D is interlaced and engraved in stone at the entrance to the Château. The royal monogram has now become the symbol of Château La Haye and decorates all our labels.
In 2012, Chris Cardon, first laid eyes on the property while running the Marathon du Médoc, he immediately fell in love.
Land of Grand Vins, Saint-Estèphe is situated at the almost very centre of the Médoc. Over the millennium, the many layers of earth sediment explain the diversity of landscapes and different colors of soil. Everywhere the ground is covered by quartz and stone, mixed with a gravel soil surface which gives the wine a special finesse.
The vines of La Haye find themselves on dominantly clay-limestone and fine gravel soil. Several varieties of grapes are cultivated and contribute to the complexity of our wines:
45% cabernet sauvignon
4% small verdot
4% cabernet franc